About 8 km from Mykonos town is Ano Mera, the most populated village on the island. Consisting of several scattered settlements, having as center the Cloister and the Panagia Tourliani church.
The Cloister, totally in Cycladic architecture, was probably founded in the 16th century (in 1542 by two monks as the inscription on the miraculous contemporary icon indicates), and it was restructured in 1767. The marble and the water spigot are impressive, as well as the interior with the byzantine icons.
Worth visiting are also the Monastery of Paleokastro, on the opposite hill, where one can see the remains of a Byzantine castle. There are remains of the ancient fort of the site, and also of graves of the Geometric period.
Because of the areas peaceful environment and location, wherefrom visitors may have easily access to the splendid beaches of Kalo Livadi ,Elia ,Kalafatis and Agia Anna . Ano Mera has been developed and nowadays offers the possibility to stay overnight. In the small central square you shall find tavernas and pastry shops serving traditional sweets.